Paul wanted the Ephesians to know all that God had given them in Jesus. Look for the phrase “in him” or “in Christ” to see the wonderful things God has given us through faith in Jesus.
Read Ephesians 1:1-10.
Paul was an apostle of Jesus whom God chose to write to the faithful saints (Christians) in Ephesus. He wanted them to have the grace (undeserved kindness) and peace that God the Father and the Lord Jesus can give. Paul wanted them to see how wonderful God was for giving them Jesus. So, in the first chapter, he keeps repeating the phrase “in him” to show what spiritual blessings God has given us in Jesus. The first thing we have in Jesus is God’s choice (4-6). Before the world was made, God chose us to be holy and blameless before him. He predestined (chose before) to adopt us as his spiritual children. He deserves to be praised for choosing us. The second thing we have in Jesus (7-8) is our redemption (a payment for our sins). His blood paid the price for our sins so that we could be forgiven by God. God’s grace (undeserved kindness) to us is like a king lavishing (pouring out) great riches on us. The third thing we have in Jesus (9-10) is an understanding of God’s mysterious will (what he will make happen). As you now know, God had a purpose for sending Jesus at the right time. At some time in the future, Jesus will unite everything in heaven and earth during the Millennium (1000 years of peace) when he rules the entire earth. Then there will be peace on earth as it is in heaven.
- Who was Paul?
- What did Paul want the Ephesians to have?
- What is grace?
- What three things do we have in Jesus?
- What have we been chosen to be?
- When you redeem something, you have to give something to get something. Jesus redeemed us by giving his blood (on the cross). In exchange for his blood, God agreed to forgive our sins. Take time to thank God for that today.
- When will Jesus unite all things in heaven and earth?